Butternut Squash & Apple Soup
In about one more week, it will be my favorite “weather” time of year. When the season really starts to change here in Northern California. No longer warm but still sunny with just a hint of crispness in the air. When you need a light sweater in the mornings and can sense a definitely chill in the evenings. Perfect weather for scarfs, booties, wood burning in the fireplace, pumpkin everything and soup. I love soup in the fall!
This Butternut Squash & Apple Soup is perfect for weeknight dinners in the fall. A creamy texture with hearty butternut squash with just a hint of tart apple. Add a little sweetness from coconut milk and you have yourself a delicious fall soup.
As with most of the recipes I share, this soup is fairly easy to make. The most time consuming part is the chopping prep. For the first time in my life I purchased a whole butternut squash and cut it up myself. I found some helpful tips on how to cut a butternut squash online by doing a quick google search. The best tip I found, put the whole squash in the microwave for 3 minutes before attempting to cut it. It helps soften it a little bit, making it much easier to get your knife thru it.
I like the idea of using the least processed ingredients as possible, so I’d choose the whole butternut squash again in the future. However, if I wanted to save some time, the pre-cut butternut squash would work just as well.
Once the chopping is done, basically it’s just adding items to a pot, brining to a boil and then simmering for 45 minutes or so. You get the creamy texture of the soup by pureeing it all together in a blender once it’s done cooking. I topped mine with a little drizzle of the coconut milk, some chopped sage leaves, and toasted almonds. I love the little crunch that the almonds add. Texture is important in soup.
Let me know if you like this Butternut Squash & Apple Soup!
- 1 Butternut Squash, peeled, deseeded, cut into cubes
- 1 Granny Smith Apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 can Coconut Milk, set aside ~2 tbsp for garnish
- 1 Shallot, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cup Vegetable Stock
- 1 tbsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp salt
- Garnish - handful of fresh sage leaves, toasted almonds, drizzle coconut milk
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in large sauce pot over medium heat
- Add shallot and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes
- Stir in garlic, turmeric, cumin and salt
- Add butternut squash, chopped apple and coconut milk (remember to reserve about 2 tbsp coconut milk for garnish)
- Add vegetable stock, just enough to cover butternut squash (about 2 cups)
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 40 minutes. Until squash is fork tender
- Optional: To toast the almonds, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lay sliced almonds on sheet pan in a single layer. Toast is oven for about 4 minutes. Until golden brown
- Transfer contents of sauce pot to a blender and puree until smooth and creamy
- Garnish soup with drizzle of coconut milk, toasted almonds and fresh sage leaves (optional)