Cast Iron Skillet Salmon
This Cast Iron Skillet Salmon is the perfect heart healthy dinner recipe featuring tender salmon topped with crunchy panko breadcrumbs and herbs.
The kitchen section at Home Goods is my happy place.
I just love wandering the aisles and looking at all the very specific kitchen gadgets.
I mean who wouldn’t want a set of plates designated specifically for fresh crab with a cute little red cartoon crustacean and a snappy caption like “let’s get cracking”?
Unfortunately my kitchen isn’t that big and my husband isn’t on board with my desire to have every kitchen gadget ever made. I’ve had to try and keep my kitchen tools collection to those I really use and need.
The theme for this month’s Recipe Redux was to share our favorite kitchen gadget and showcase a recipe that uses that gadget. It was hard to choose just one (my Vitamix and spiralizer were very strong contenders) but in the end I knew I had to pick…
my Cast Iron Skillet.
I use my cast iron skillet all. the. time. It’s the best for searing steak, caramelizing veggies, cooking bacon, or even making cinnamon rolls. Don’t even get me started on how delicious breakfast is with these Breakfast Potatoes with Crispy Pancetta and Herbs from Wanderspice. The cast iron skillet gets the potatoes so crispy on the outside and soft and buttery in the middle…perfection!
The best part is that it easily goes from stove to oven. No more starting something in a pan on the stove and then transferring to an oven proof dish. One less dish…hallelujah!
This Cast Iron Skillet Salmon is a recipe that I make about once a week. It was adapted from this Barefoot Contessa Panko Crusted Salmon recipe with a few changes and personal touches added.
It’s so simple but has so much flavor that people will think you slaved away all day to prepare it.
- 6-8 oz salmon filet (skin on)
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dried dill
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ lemon, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- In a small bowl, combine panko, olive oil, dill, and red pepper flakes
- Mix until well combined, season with salt and pepper as needed and set bowl aside
- Heat vegetable oil in cast iron skillet over medium-high heat on stove
- Spread dijon mustard over top of salmon filet
- Press panko mixture on top of dijon mustard, lightly pressing with the back of a spoon so mixture sticks to the mustard
- Top with thinly sliced lemon
- Once oil is hot, place salmon (skin side down) in pan and let cook for 3-4 minutes (do not move fish)
- Transfer pan to top rack in oven and cook for 5-8 minutes, until fish is flaky and panko topping is golden brown
- Remove from oven and serve!
This dish is delicious, easy to make, a crowd favorite and heart healthy. If you are looking to add more fish to your meals, this is a great recipe to try.
If you are looking for a vegetarian dish this Gnocchi Skillet is a great option!
See more great kitchen gadget inspired recipes below…