Grilled Steak Tacos with Herb Sauce
Happy Taco Tuesday!
Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner and that means tacos! If you are looking to make tacos but still want to maintain your healthy lifestyle, here are a few tips:
- Omit the Sour Cream and Cheese
- Consider using Greek Yogurt in place of sour cream (or a mixture of 1/2 sour cream and 1/2 greek yogurt)
- Cheese tends to be high in fat and sodium, if you add a lot of flavor to the tacos, you won’t even miss the cheese
- Add healthy fats with fresh avocado
- Grill your fish/chicken/steak instead of breading/frying
- Add fresh toppings such as pico de gallo, shredded lettuce, onions, jalapeños, and cilantro for flavor without added calories
- Use small tortillas
- Large tortillas contain a lot of empty calories and often times sugar!
- Consider using small tortillas, you still can pack on the fillings/toppings without over-dosing on carbohydrates
These Grilled Steak Tacos with Herb Sauce are so good!!!! I can’t stop thinking about them and luckily they are quick to make, so I’m thinking about whipping up another batch for lunch today.
I marinated some flank steak (trying to stay within my grocery budget and steak is so expensive these days) with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Then simply grilled it for a few minutes on each side (it was really thin) and sliced it super thin.
I used small corn tortillas that I broiled over the flame on the stove, and added shredded romaine lettuce, grilled steak, caramelized onions (such a great flavor), fresh cilantro, and Herb Sauce (recipe below).
They were fantastic! So fresh tasting but still satisfying.
- 1/4 cup plain, greek yogurt
- 1/4 avocado
- 1/4 cilantro, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Add ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth