Healthy Road Trip Snacks
Planning healthy road trip snacks can help prevent grabbing fast food on the road and save you money on overpriced food at the airport.
For many people, the holidays often involve travel. Whether it be by plane, train, or automobile, a lot of people pack it up and take to the road to celebrate with family and friends.
According to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics, the average long-distance trip over the Christmas holiday is 275 miles! That is a long time to be stuck in a small space. Throw in traffic, holiday stress, people’s lack of understanding about personal space and cranky kids and you could easily have a recipe for disaster.
One easy way to help ensure a pleasant road trip is to pack some healthy road trip snacks. Second only to great tunes, snacks can make or break a road trip. Food options while traveling are sometimes limited to fast food or a lot of unhealthy pre-packaged items. Not to mention that purchasing snacks at the airport or on the road can get expensive. Packing your own snacks gives you some healthy options and as I can personally attest, can really come in handy to help resolve temper tantrums from little travelers.
Examples of healthy snack ideas for travel…
- Beverages: Water, La Croix, Unsweetened Iced Tea
- Fresh fruit: cuties, apples, bananas are all easy to eat on the go and provide fiber, which can keep you full longer
- Peanut Butter & Pretzels/Crackers, Beef Jerky, String Cheese, Hummus & Carrots are sources of protein that can be grabbed on the go
- Popcorn, Healthy Trail Mix, Nuts, and Animal Crackers can all satisfy the crunch factor
- Cranberries, Raisins, Applesauce Pouches and Dark Chocolate satisfy sweet tooth cravings or distract smaller travelers
Additional Healthy Road Trip Snacks Tips to Remember:
- Don’t forget to stay hydrated while traveling. Dehydration can lead to headaches and irritability.
- If you are traveling by car, consider packing a little cooler for items requiring refrigeration. Hummus, string cheese, and yogurt make great snacks.
- Ask your passengers for snack idea input to ensure you include their favorites
Check out my Eating Good on the Go Pinterest Board for even more ideas on staying healthy while on the road.