Lighter Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
(Disclosure: I received free samples of Sabra Spreads mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Sabra and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.)
Even though I try to maintain a healthy lifestyle, I just love a good Buffalo Chicken Sandwich. There is just something about a chicken sandwich smothered in hot sauce and blue cheese that says “come to mama”. However, a typical buffalo chicken sandwich can be more than 800 calories and 40 grams of fat! The chicken is typically fried and then topped with blue cheese and mayo or ranch dressing. Definitely not a good example of a healthy lifestyle meal.
One of my favorite parts of my job as a Registered Dietitian includes remaking favorite dishes into healthier versions. So when my Recipe Redux group was challenged by Sabra to create our favorite sandwiches using their new sandwich spreads, I couldn’t stop thinking of all the possibilities! I shared this Turkey, Apple & Brie Sandwich recipe earlier this week as part of the challenge, but I couldn’t just stop there!
I’ve been using the Sabra Spreads to make sandwiches all week (purely for my lunch enjoyment). It wasn’t until I was at a local restaurant and saw my beloved Buffalo Chicken Sandwich on the menu that I realized I needed to create a lighter version for this challenge. Plus it’s the hubby’s favorite sandwich. Challenge accepted.
This Lighter Buffalo Chicken Sandwich is even better than I thought it would be! The perfect blend of spicy hot sauce, tender chicken, and tangy blue cheese, all topped off with a delicious Garlic & Herb Sandwich Spread. The best part is, it comes in around 400 calories and 17 grams of fat. That’s over 50% less than the traditional recipe.
The Garlic & Herb Sabra Spread is the shining star of this sandwich. The creamy texture of the spread gives the same great flavor of regular mayo or dressing, but without the extra calories/fat. These Sabra Spreads contain 75% less fat than traditional mayo! The combination of garlic, basil, chives and oregano in the Garlic & Herb flavored spread give the sandwich so much zest that you don’t have to add a lot of blue cheese for flavor. Plus it’s so convenient to have all that flavor come in a handy squeeze bottle. Flavor at your fingertips!
I started by seasoning the chicken breasts with salt & pepper, very lightly dusting with
flour and then seasoning with paprika and garlic. It’s pan seared with a little olive oil, making it much heart healthier than traditional fried chicken. The seasoning on the chicken give it a little kick and it gets nice and golden brown.
In order to add a lot of flavor without adding extra calories or fat, I dressed up the lettuce by adding a little olive oil, salt & pepper and hot sauce directly to the chopped lettuce. It ensures you get a bit of flavor in each bite, without having to slather on extra sauce.
Even a Lighter Buffalo Chicken Sandwich wouldn’t be complete without blue cheese. So I added a few crumbles on top of each sandwich. Since blue cheese has such a strong flavor, you don’t have to add much to get great flavor. Besides, when combined with the Garlic & Herb Sabra Spread, you definitely don’t miss out on flavor at all with this bad boy.
The same great traditional flavor of a Buffalo Chicken Sandwich, with a much healthier twist thanks to the Sabra Spreads. I think it’s Dan’s new favorite!
What’s your favorite sandwich?
- 2 Chicken Breasts, boneless, skinless
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 head Romaine Lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Franks Red Hot Buffalo Sauce (or hot sauce of your choice)
- 2 sandwich rolls
- 4 tbsp Sabra Garlic & Herb flavored spread
- 2 tbsp blue cheese crumbles
- Salt & Pepper
- Place chicken breasts in a shallow pan
- Pat dry with a paper towel and season each side with salt and pepper
- Lightly dust each side of chicken with flour
- Sprinkle each side of chicken with paprika and garlic powder
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a pan over medium heat
- Add chicken to the pan and cook for about 6 minutes each side
- Add the lettuce to a small bowl
- Combine remaining 2 tbsp olive oil, salt, pepper, and apple cider vinegar to bowl with lettuce and mix
- Add few drops of hot sauce to lettuce mixture (to your hotness level desire). Set aside
- Once chicken is done cooking, remove from pan and transfer to a paper towel lined plate to cool
- Add sliced sandwich rolls to pan you used to cook the chicken and toast the sandwich rolls for about 2 minutes (until golden brown)
- Construct your sandwich as follows: place bottom sandwich roll on plate and add lettuce mixture. Place chicken breast on top of lettuce and then add hot sauce. Top with bleu cheese crumbles. Spread top sandwich roll with Sabra Spread and place on top of sandwich.