Spring Asparagus Recipe Ideas
Sharing a few of my favorite asparagus recipe ideas for spring, along with nutrition knowledge for this seasonal veggie.
I can always tell when Spring is approaching (hard to tell sometimes in California) because the stores start selling daffodils (one of my favorite flowers) and asparagus is back in season!
I haven’t always been a huge fan of asparagus. As a kid I think it was one of those vegetables I detested. Possibly because it was usually just steamed until it was a limp, greenish side dish. Now I can honestly say that it’s probably one of the my favorite vegetables. Not only do I like that you can sometimes just pick it up and eat it with your hands, it’s also pretty simple to prepare.
Asparagus – Nutrition Knowledge
- Good source of Vitamin A, C, E, K and folate
- Contains dietary fiber, which helps keep you full longer, aids in good digestive health and helps transport bad cholesterol out of the bloodstream and body
- Contains gluthathione, a compound believed to help break down harmful carcinogens and free radicals, making it a cancer fighting vegetable
- Packed with antioxidants which help fight harmful free radicals and may help slow the aging process
- Natural brain booster – asparagus contains folate, which works with Vitamin B12 to help prevent decline in cognitive ability
- Asparagus is a natural diuretic, which not only helps the body release excess fluid from the body, but also can help rid excess salt. Making it helpful in reducing high blood pressure in some individuals
Roasted Asparagus with Lemon
One of my all time favorite ways to make asparagus, so simple but so delicious.
- 1 bunch of asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ lemon, cut into slices
- Salt & Pepper, for seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Place asparagus in a large bowl/dish
- Add olive oil, salt and pepper and combine well
- Place asparagus on a foil lined baking sheet
- Place thinly sliced lemon on top of asparagus
- Bake in oven for ~10-15 minutes
Shaved Asparagus and Prosciutto Salad
Last year, I saw a Proscuitto & Shaved Asparagus Salad recipe on Paleo Paparazzi’s instagram account and had to recreate it for myself. Since then, it has become a go-to snack or light lunch dish. So easy to make and light and fresh tasting.
Simply take thinly sliced prosciutto, top with shaved asparagus, drizzle with olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Add a few sliced tomatoes or even avocado and enjoy!