Meal Makeovers – 5 Simple Tips for Creating Healthier Meals
We are dedicated to celebrating National Nutrition Month all during March 2017.
This week, we are focusing on Meal Makeovers. Simple ways to change up some of your favorite recipes to make them a little healthier without losing flavor.
We eat healthy-ish at our house but there are some dishes we love and can’t do without. I’ve tried to use the following tips for making our favorites a bit healthier.
Meal Makeover Tips
- Swap sour cream for greek yogurt
- Go Meatless one day a week
- We started Meatless Mondays this past summer and have LOVED it!
- Planning one vegetarian meal per week can help you increase your vegetable consumption, cut back on saturated fat from animal sources, and save you money at the grocery store
- Check out some of favorite Meatless Monday recipes
- Swap creamy salad dressings for oil based vinaigrettes
- Creamy salad dressings like ranch and caesar are full of fat and calories
- Oil based vinaigrettes contain heart healthy oils and far less calories
- Making your own dressings cuts back on added sugars often found in salad dressings
- Some of my favorite salad dressings include: 5 Minute Magic Green Sauce from Pinch of Yum and this Lemon Herb Vinaigrette
- Go grilled instead of fried
- This applies to fish, chicken, and vegetables
- Grilled offers just as much flavor, without the added breading and fats from the frying oils
- Use fresh herbs and spices in place of heavy sauces
- The key to great tasting meals is flavor
- Using spices and fresh herbs is a great way to add tremendous flavor to foods without adding extra calories, fat and sugar from heavy sauces
- Check out Mediterranean based recipes and Indian inspired dishes for some great ideas on herbs & spices in place of spices
Follow Along on Social Media
We’ll be sharing meal makeover examples all week long here on the blog and our social media accounts. Hope you’ll follow along in the fun!
What’s your favorite tip for making meals healthier?