25 Recipes Using Beans & Lentils
A collection of 25 delicious recipes using beans and lentils. Perfect for Meatless Monday inspiration, healthy lunches and filling dinners.
My family and I have been participating in the Meatless Monday movement since last summer.
In that time, I have developed a love affair with recipes using beans and lentils. The number of ways that you can use these meatless monday superstars while cooking are endless!
When we first started going meat free once a week, I would just add kidney beans to a salad or serve black beans on the side of whatever we had for dinner. This got really boring, really fast.
I now like to think of myself as a bean connoisseur.
Besides providing great flavor and variety to vegetarian dishes, beans & lentils are –
- Inexpensive (ranging from $0.99 – $2.00 per can/package)
- A good source of fiber and protein
- Versatile ingredient that can be prepared in a number of different ways
- Quick to cook
These are recipes we routinely make at our house and love. Don’t forget to check out this previous post on Why We Love Lentils & You Should Too
What is it – A middle eastern inspired dish with chickpeas, tomatoes, black beans and herbs.
How to make it – I just buy it already made from Trader Joe’s. It cost about $3 for 2 servings. However, this Balela Salad copycat recipe is amazing and tastes just like one you get from TJ’s
How to serve it – We typically top it with avocado and have it for a quick and easy lunch.
Latin Black Bean Soup
What is it – A creamy soup (completely cream free though!) with a nice kick and full of great flavor.
How to make it – My girlfriend (hi Sarah!) shared this recipe with me about 10 years ago and it has remained one of our favorite soups to this day! You can find the Latin Black Bean Soup recipe here
How to serve it – For Meatless Mondays we typically serve this soup with a fully loaded salad or often times we have it multiple times a week as an accompaniment to dinner. I like to top with fresh herbs and a dollop of greek yogurt.
Greek Salad with Chickpeas
What is it – Juicy tomatoes, crisp cucumbers, avocado, feta and olives topped with crunchy chickpeas for a filling and flavor-packed lunch
How to make it – Chop up a cucumber, tomatoes, 1/2 red onion, kalamata olives and avocado and throw them in a bowl. Add 1/2 cup chickpeas and drizzle with olive oil, red wine vinegar, basil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Top with feta cheese if desired.
How to serve it – Whip up a big batch and you’ve got lunches all week long!
Kung Pao Chickpeas
What is it – Spicy asian-inspried chickpeas that pack a punch!
How to make it – I found this Kung Pao Chickpeas recipe from The Veg Life on Pinterest and have made it about 15 times since then! It’s so good and so easy!
How to serve it – I serve it along side pasta or vegetable stir fry
I also asked my friends to share their favorite beans and lentil recipes and you won’t be disappointed! Check out these great recipes below and save for your next meatless monday.
- This Lentil Curry from Dish & Delight sounds amazing and is very budget friendly!
- A Sweet & Spicy Curry from Street Smart Nutrition that’s made in 30 minutes. Perfect for weeknight dinners!
- This mediterranean inspired Lemon Tahini Lentil Dip from Bucket List Tummy makes the perfect crowd pleasing snack.
- A complete meal all on it’s own, this Lentil and Chickpea Salad with Lemon Dressing from Sincerely Nourished uses my favorite pre-cooked lentils from Trader Joe’s to create a delicious meal.
- This Vegan Lentil Bolognese from Karl Cooks sounds so creamy and delicious! Filling and comforting, it’s the perfect dinner.
- Thai Lentil Salad from Lively Table sounds like the perfect way to enjoy a filling, fresh, and delicious lunch or dinner!
- This Creamy Grape and Walnut Lentil Salad from The Mexitalian is the perfect vegetarian version of your favorite chicken salad.
- Caprese Lentil Salad from Living Well Kitchen is the quintessential summer dish and is perfect for using up those garden fresh tomatoes!
- These Curried Coconut Lentil Stuffed Sweet Potatoes from The Foodie Physician are sure to be a favorite! Full of flavor and absolutely beautiful, they are the whole package.
- Simple but delicious, these Black Lentils with Roasted Tomatoes, Mozzarella and Pesto from Jenny Shea Rawn are heavenly.
- These Lentil Walnut Tacos with Pineapple Mango Salsa from Fit Living Eats are perfect for your next Taco Tuesday!
- Vegan Lentil Taco Salad Bowls from The Fitchen are packed full of flavor and just too pretty not to eat!
- These Black Bean, Corn and Red Pepper Tacos from Making Healthy Choices started out as a dip but soon became an entire dish that is filling and delicious!
- A Creamy Black Bean and Carrot Ribbon Salad from Eat, Drink, Be Healthy is the perfect warm-weather lunch for days when you just don’t want to turn on the oven and cook.
- This Slow Cooker Pesto Minestrone Soup from Bite of Health Nutrition is the perfect comfort dish and extremely budget friendly!
- Those on a low-FODMAP diet will love this Chickpea and Quinoa Salad from A Less Irritable Life. Packed with flavor this salad makes a great lunch or side dish.
- These 5-ingredinet Raw Brownie Bites from C it Nutritionally have a secret ingredient but satisfy any sweet tooth!
- Nothing says BBQ like a burger and these Black Bean Burgers from Nutrition Nuptials are packed with flavor and goodness.
- You can’t go wrong with bean salad but this 3 Bean Avocado Salad with Lime Dressing from Nutrition Starring YOU takes the cake on flavor.
- Packed with flavor, this Black Bean and Mango Salad from Family Food on the Table is sure to be a family favorite.
- Say goodbye to boring salads for good with this Italian Power Salad with White Beans and Sun-dried Tomatoes from Vintage Kitty.