An Apple a Day…
Turns out mom wasn’t wrong when she said “An apple a day keeps the doctor away”. Apples are a crisp and naturally sweet fruit that also promote many health benefits.
While apples can often be found in grocery stores year round, the peak season is typically September to early Spring. Which means we are currently right in the height of apple mania. There are so many different varieties that it’s hard to find someone that doesn’t like at least one type of apple.
An easy and filling snack that can be eaten on the go make apples a great staple in a healthy lifestyle. As a mom, I love that I can just hand my kids an apple. No cutting, prepping, cooking needed. Plus I just love the sound of a crunchy apple! So crisp and refreshing.
Apples pack a great nutritional punch too!
- Apples are extremely rich in antioxidants that help prevent cancer, inflammation and heart disease
- Rich in fiber (4 grams per serving), which helps us feel full longer and helps reduce cholesterol
- Good source of Vitamin C, which helps boost our immunity
Apples are also versatile when used in cooking. They can be added to breakfast foods, salads, soups, stews, entrees, cocktails, paired with vegetables, and desserts. It’s easy to incorporate this fantastic fruit into any meal of the day.
Below is a great collection of apple inspired dishes from some of my fellow apple-loving friends…
- Apple Dutch Baby from The Foodie Physician
- Peanut Butter Apple Baked Oatmeal from Key Ingredients
- Apples & Honey Rosh Hashanah Smoothie from Fitful Focus
- Sea Salt Caramel Apple Peanut Flour Protein Pancakes from And a Dash of Cinnamon
- Apple and Butternut Squash Muffins from Family Food on the Table
- Pumpkin Apple Pie Overnight Oats from Bite of Health Nutrition
- Apple Butter Muffins from Food, Pleasure, and Health
- Whole Grain Apple Harvest Muffins from Twisted Nutrition
- Baked Apple French Toast from Nutritioulicious
- Cinnamon Apple Crockpot Oats from Hungry Hobby
Soup & Salad
- Butternut Squash and Apple Soup via The Domestic Dietitian
- Roasted Butternut Squash & Apple Lentil Soup from Jessica Cording Nutrition
- Brussels Sprouts and Apple Salad from Sincerely Nourished
- Kale Salad with Roasted Apples & Sunflower Seeds from C It Nutritionally
- Roasted Turkey, Apple & Brie Sandwich via The Domestic Dietitian
- Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Apples & Chicken Sausage from RDelicious Kitchen
- Sautéed Chicken and Apples with Rosemary from Family Food on the Table
- Apple Cheddar Quesadillas from Courtney’s Cookbook
- Spiced Quinoa with Roasted Apples & Root Vegetables from Nutritioulicious
Side Dish / Snack / Sauce
- Slow Cooker Applesauce via The Domestic Dietitian
- Low Sodium Chorizo and Green Apple Stuffing from Hacking Salt
- Slow Cooker Apple Butter from Family Food on the Table
- Chai Applesauce, Apple Butter & Apple Leather from Making Healthy Choices
- Homemade Apple Chutney from Nutritioulicious
- Apple Crumble Nachos from Jenny Shea Rawn
- Healthier Apple Pie from Key Ingredients
- Protein Apple Pie Tartlet (gluten free) from Fitful Focus
- Healthy Gluten Free Maple Apple Crisp from The Fit Cookie
- Caramel Apple Galette (gluten free and vegan) from The Fit Cookie
Pin for later –>
What’s your favorite way to enjoy apples?