Mediterranean Plant Protein Power Bowl
One of my goals these past few months has been to try and increase my daily intake of vegetables. I tended to have vegetables with dinner but skipped the greens at breakfast and lunch. Salads are a quick, easy way to get extra veggies at lunch, but eating the same type of food day after day makes me super bored.
Needless to say, I got excited when I found out my monthly challenge for The Recipe Redux group was to share a healthy plant protein power bowl. I love all foods you can serve in a single bowl or make in one pan. It makes cooking much easier and clean up is a breeze. High priorities in my life.
Power bowls are a delicious food trend that’s been showing up everywhere. The idea is that you pack a bunch of “power” foods in one bowl to make a complete meal.
Benefits of “Power Bowls”
- superfoods designed to provide an array of health/nutritional benefits
- protein to fuel your body
- healthy fats to keep you feeling full longer
- high fiber veggies to aid in digestion and keep cholesterol levels low
This Mediterranean Plant Protein Power Bowl has become one of my go-to meals for lunch. Filled with spinach, tomatoes, avocado, quinoa, hummus, red onion, cucumber and olives, it meets every one of the power food examples listed above. Plus it’s so simple to pull together and is just so good tasting!
Quinoa is a great plant-based protein. It’s a naturally gluten-free grain (actually it’s technically a seed) that contains carbohydrates, protein, and fiber. Just 1/2 cup provides between 7-9 grams of protein. You can easily cook it over the stovetop or even in the microwave. In this recipe, I prepared it on the stove using vegetable broth in place of water to give it an extra hint of flavor. I typically make a batch on Sundays to have on hand during the week. It works great on salad, in soups or as a side dish.
This Mediterranean Plant Protein Power Bowl contains an awesome 20 grams of protein, in just one bowl! Low in calorie, high in heart healthy fats, and a great source of fiber, this one bowl meal makes the perfect lunch.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup hummus
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- olive oil
- fresh lemon
- red wine vinegar
- fresh dill (optional)
- Add quinoa and vegetable broth to pot over high heat on stove. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for additional 10 minutes. Remove from heat
- Add spinach leaves to large bowl
- Add cherry tomatoes, kalamata olives, hummus, cucumber, red onion, quinoa and avocado
- Drizzle with olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon juice, and splash of red wine vinegar
- Season with salt and pepper and top with fresh chopped dill