Pistachio Yogurt Dip
Creamy and delicious, this Pistachio Yogurt Dip is the perfect mediterranean inspired hearty healthy dip to accompany vegetables, fish, or even sandwiches.
Disclosure – I received free samples of Wonderful Pistachios mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Wonderful Pistachios and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
A few years ago, I took a trip to Greece and fell in love with the food. Everything we ate was so fresh and flavorful. The traditional dishes focused on fresh fish and lean protein, olives, herbs, spices, nuts, and fresh vegetables.
With ingredients like that, it’s no wonder the Mediterranean Diet was tied for the #1 Best Diet Overall ranking from US News & World Report.
A main staple of the mediterranean diet is nuts, which can provide healthy fats that may lead to better heart health, less risk of certain cancers and diabetes prevention.
Get Crackin’ with these Health Benefits
- The Fit Nut™ – pistachios are one of the highest protein and fiber snack nuts that are part of a heart healthy lifestyle. Scientific evidence suggests (but does not prove) that eating 1.5 ounces per day of most nuts, such as pistachios, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol may reduce the risk of heart disease.
- The Skinny Nut™ – pistachios are one of the lowest calorie and lowest fat snack nuts.
- The Mindful Nut™ – in-shell pistachios may help you “fool yourself full” because the leftover shells may provide a visual cue for portions, potentially helping to curb intake.
In Search of the Perfect Dip
Since returning home, I made it my mission to recreate that yogurt sauce.
This Pistachio Yogurt Dip is my answer to that mission.
The key is to create a pistachio paste is to first blend the shelled Wonderful Pistachios until they are finely ground. Then adding minced garlic, olive oil, and fresh lemon zest in a blender until you’re left with a deliciously nutty and zesty paste that gives the dip it’s amazing flavor.
If you paste is too thick, add little more olive oil to thin it out to your liking. Mine was thick enough to fill a spoon but still thin enough to drizzle if I held the spoon upside down.
I then took the pistachio paste and swirled it into a bowl of greek yogurt, seasoned with salt and pepper and then topped with fresh parsley, chopped raw pistachios and red pepper flakes.
Honestly I’m lucky I was able to snap any pictures before I just devoured this dip with a spoon. It is that good.
Delicious and Nutritious
I originally served this dip with a platter of beautiful and colorful veggies! It was the perfect way to jazz up plain slices of cucumber, beets, carrots and even endive spears.
The next day I served it on top of pan roasted salmon that I placed on a bed of mixed greens (i.e. bagged salad)…it was unbelievable!
You can never go wrong with a dish that is delicious, versatile, and boasts so many nutritional benefits.
- 2 cups Wonderful Pistachios (shell removed)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1½ cups greek yogurt
- ¼ cup chopped wonderful pistachios (shell removed)
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- pinch red pepper flakes
- additional olive oil, if needed
- In a high powered blender or food processor, combine the pistachios, garlic, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Pulse until very fine consistency and smooth texture
- With motor running, slowly drizzle in olive oil and combine until a paste forms.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed
- Place greek yogurt in serving bowl and slowly mix in the pistachio paste, swirling into the yogurt.
- Note - I liked leaving the pistachio paste a little swirled and not completely blended into the yogurt
- Top with parsley, additional chopped pistachios, and red pepper flakes