Spicy Tuna Wrap – Healthy Lunch Idea
This spicy tuna wrap recipe combines a tuna fish sandwich with a spicy tuna sushi roll. A great healthy lunch idea that can be taken on the go.
Tuna fish sandwiches were a favorite of mine growing up.
My mom’s tuna salad preparation will always be one of my favorites, but it definitely isn’t healthy. It involves canned tuna, lots of mayo, celery, onion and hard boiled egg. Piled high on some white bread and you have one of my favorite comfort foods.
As I have become an adult (and a health professional), I’ve been in search of a new way to enjoy tuna sandwiches. The criteria – tasty, simple to make, healthy, and budget friendly. Enter the Spicy Tuna Wrap!
It’s a mash-up of a tuna salad sandwich and spicy tuna sushi roll. All rolled up into one convenient, healthy lunch. Not to mention that using canned tuna is very budget friendly. The tuna I used (Chicken of the Sea Chunk Light Tuna in water) cost $0.79 cents a can. Boom!
Creating the Spicy Tuna Wrap
The key to this Spicy Tuna Wrap is to jazz up the tuna. Instead of loading it down with mayo, I created an asian inspired tuna salad. Adding dijon mustard, ground ginger, sesame seed and scallions took this tuna to the next level. It was hard not to just eat it all straight out of the bowl.
To make the wrap, I chose to use Flat Out Flatbread in place of a tortilla. I find them easier to roll than regular tortillas plus they were on sale. However, any tortilla you like would work. Then just add veggies of your choice. Since I was going for a sushi like roll, I used grated carrots, matchstick cucumbers, avocado and spinach leaves. Super filling and tasty.
This makes a great lunch to take on the go or prep ahead of time. You can make a big bowl of the tuna fish salad ahead of time and chop up all your veggies. The wraps themselves can be made the night before and brought to work the next day. Perfect healthy lunch idea!
Are you a tuna fish fan?
Spicy Tuna Wrap Recipe
- For the Tuna Salad
- 2 cans tuna fish (I used Chicken of the Sea Chunk Light Tuna packed in oil)
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- Single scallion, chopped (green and white parts)
- 1 tbsp Trader Joe's Everything But the Bagel Sesame Seasoning Blend (or sesame seeds)
- For the Spicy Tuna Wrap
- 1 Handful spinach leaves
- ¼ cup shredded or matchstick carrots
- ¼ cup cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- ½ avocado, diced
- For the Spicy Dipping Sauce
- ¼ cup greek yogurt (plain)
- 2 tbsp Sriracha
- 1 tsp wasabi paste
- Combine the tuna salad ingredients in a small bowl, mix together and set aside
- Mix the greek yogurt, sriracha and wasabi past in a small bowl and set aside
- To assemble the wrap, lay your tortilla on a flat surface. Place spinach leaves on one side of the tortilla/wrap.
- Place tuna salad on top of spinach leaves
- Top with carrot, cucumber and avocado
- Gently roll tortilla so wrap is tightly rolled
- Cut in half and serve with spicy dipping sauce on side
Pin for Later….